Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Sunrise, sunset (to the tune from Fiddler on the Roof)

When I first got to Norway in January I started work when the sun was rising and finished work after the sun had set. Hum, that sounds like the sun was barely up or I worked all day long. Neither is the case. I should explain. I usually work from 8am to noon and then again from 5pm to 6pm. Anyways, back in January the sun would be out around 8:30am and down around 5pm. Now, the sun is up when I wake up at 7:20am and twilight is still going strong when I exit the barn at 6pm. Since winter solstice, Randaberg gains 7 minutes of sunlight a day! This being due to the country sitting so far north. My hometown in Missouri only gains 3 minutes of sunlight a day. Also, being this far north, twilight lasts forever which also makes the day stretch a little longer. Usable light, I like to call it. The sun isn't out but it is still enough light where you don't need a headlamp or headlights to see.

1 comment:

  1. Very informative. I had no idea we gained 3 minutes a day. 3 precious minutes.

    ReplyDelete