Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Goodbye Czech Republic

I'm flying out tonight. Making a stopover in Germany, where I will sleep in the airport and then onto Portugal, my destination. A new workaway experience, new people to meet, a new garden to plant. I am looking forward to this new adventure but I will miss Czech Republic. Last night, as everyone made their way up to bed, I slipped out the front door and walked to the garden. The night was chilly, the moon was struggling to come out from behind the clouds, and in the air I could smell the promise of rain. I knelt beside the raised garden bed and put the palm of my hand on the soil. It felt cold and bare. Peas will hopefully be sprouting there soon. I spoke to the seeds and quietly coaxed them to grow into nice healthy plants. I walked from bed to bed and wished the seeds luck on their journey to germination.

One of the challenging things of being a workawayer, traveling from place to place, is that I am not able to stay and watch the seeds grow and develop into healthy, nourishing plants. I felt sad to walk away from the garden. As I snuggled into bed I whispered goodbye to the present garden and felt closure and then felt anticipation to get to Portugal to get my hands dirty in their soil.

So now it is time to say goodbye to Czech Republic. For now, anyways. I liked it here. I liked the people I was volunteering for, I liked the country, I liked the culture. I will be back someday.

1 comment: