Monday, March 22, 2010

Yay! It's spring!

I am wearing a t-shirt today. I don't have to wear two wool shirts.
I am wearing one pair of trousers today. I didn't have to put on my thermals.
My sub-zero boots are making my feet sweat and soaking my wool socks.
The sun is shining and the snow is melting rapidly. Spring is here!

The ground is thawing and I was able to work enough soil to fill four tires I am using as planters. A key principle in permaculture is to reuse objects available to you. Junk that you have laying around your home, yard, land, or neighborhood. There always seems to be excess tires laying around, no matter where I am gardening, and they are useful in the garden. I stack a few on top of each other, fill the bottom with rocks, and fill in with soil. When it is time to plant the seeds I will plant basil and sunflowers in the tires. It should look very nice.
I have also been busy building raised garden bed frames with scrap wood that is laying in the old barn. I am learning that building is not my forte. It's like I have a brain of a chicken when hammering in nails... and that's in insult to chickens. All I need to do is hammer two boards into a block piece of wood to form a corner. When I'm hammering the nail bends instead of going in straight, I cuss, tap it straight again, continue to try to hammer the nail into the board, and hammer my finger instead. Really, it can't be this difficult. I was annoyed as hell but had to laugh at myself. Don't give me a hammer, nails, or a saw and expect great results. I think I should go and focus on my strengths and let a better equipped person handle the raised garden beds.

So I'm off to continue designing the garden, turning soil to get ready for planting, make sage infused olive oil for cooking, and dance around the kitchen while baking cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment