Thursday, March 4, 2010

The adventure of not knowing the language

I was spoiled in Norway where almost everyone understood English. Outside of Prague, hardly anybody understands English. I found this out today when I was trying to get from Prague to Cernovice (the town I am living near) on the train. At the train station the ticket agent spoke little English but was able to tell me to take the train from Prague to Obratan where I get a transfer to Cernovice. Easy enough. What she failed to tell me was that before I got to Obratan I needed to get off the train at a station, take a bus to another station where I catch another train to the town of Tabor where I get off and onto another train that would take me to Obratan and then on to Cernovice.

So there I was riding along, thinking it was taking a long time to get to this Obratan station, when the train stops and I am told to get off. It was the end of the line. I was wondering what the heck was going on so I went to ask the ticket agents at this station and no one spoke English but after a few minutes the ticket agent figured out what I needed and I realized I was supposed to get off the train an hour ago at Tabor. I had to buy a new ticket and get back on a train and head back to Tabor which would lead me to Obratan and Cernovice. It all worked out with the help of hand singles and pointing at maps. There was a kind old lady who understood where I needed to go when I showed her my ticket and she gestured to me what stops to get off at. She was helpful and I was grateful for her kindness.


When I got off the train in Cernovice I needed to find the road that would lead me to the home I am volunteering at. I had no idea what direction I needed to go to find the road so I stopped at the post office and showed them the address. Without any English being spoken, I was guided to where I needed to be. I thanked the women who was helping and was once again grateful for the kindness of a stranger and the power of understanding through hand gestures and pointing at maps.


I found the road with no trouble and made the 45 minute walk to my new temporary home. It was surreal walking down a lonely country road in the Czech Republic. It was beautiful. I made it here safe and sound even after all the language confusion.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh. I can't believe you made it there. I hope it was a nice walk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My bags were a little heavy but the walk was beautiful.

    ReplyDelete