Friday, March 5, 2010

Living situations

Why would one choose to live in a house where there is no central heating and the average temperature is hovering around freezing? Where you have to wear layers and layers of clothes to be comfortable, and you can see your breath when you breathe. Why would one choose to live in a house where the toilet is a composting loo outside and snow is falling on you as you go wee? Or why would one choose to live in a house with complete strangers? I don't know, for the sake of being sustainable? To be better stewards of the land? How about for the sake of taking a decomposing house and slowly renovating into a sustainable household. It is astonishing how little time it takes to accumulate your body to these more extreme living situations, and for me, it is worth it. It is worth every effort or sacrifice for the betterment of the earth.

Let me ask this, why would one choose to live in a house where the food is not composted or where the water is not used as greywater? Why would one choose to live in a house where recycling is not done? Why would one choose to live in a house where the main ingredients for cooking are processed foods? I don't know, I don't have an answer for that.

2 comments:

  1. I know... I heard it was in the 50's back home and I was a bit annoyed. I am so sick of the snow. The house is comfortable if you keep a fire going. And I love the smell of a fire so I can't complain.

    ReplyDelete