Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Second day in Prague





This morning I strapped on my walking boots and headed back out into the city. I walked to Old Town and saw the Astronomical clock and Old Town Square. I then walked to the Jewish quarter and peeped in at the cemetery. You had to pay to take the tour which I didn't have money to do but I found a nice space to view through the gate at the bathroom and snapped some photos. I then walked and walked and got lost countless times and walked some more.

Some information about the sites visited today:
Prague Astronomical clock (photo 2) is a medieval clock that dates back to 1410 that represents the position of the sun and moon and has a calender dial.
Old Town is the original place of settlement of Prague approximately around the 9th century. Records that date back to 1100 indicate that there as a market every week in the square (photo 4) and large military gatherings took place here.
Old Jewish cemetery (photo 3) was in use in the early 15 century. There are 12 layers of graves due to the fact when the cemetery ran out of space and purchasing extra land was impossible, more layers of soil were placed on the existing graves, the old tombstones taken out and placed on the new layer of soil. This is why the tombstones are placed so close together. It is estimated that there are 100,00 burials in all.
I love walking through the narrow streets, streets that were obviously not made for cars, and imagine what life must have been like so long ago. I look at the buildings and in my mind wipe away all the modern shops and restaurants and in their place try to imagine what it must have looked like hundreds of years ago. I wonder if it looked essentially the same. If I erased all the cars and modern conveniences, I could almost pretend that I was there, hundreds of years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment