Tuesday, March 2, 2010

First day in Prague






I'm in Prague and I already love it! Riding the train in the underground and walking through the hostel, I've noticed signs to be careful for pickpockets. Ah! I know this city will be lively.
I was given a map at the front desk to guide me to some tourist attractions in the area, but I didn't want to use it while I was walking because I didn't want to look like a tourist. Which was quite silly because I think most people I saw were tourists. Never mind that. I had memorized some street names in my head to guide me to where I wanted to go but this didn't work and I got lost. I thought about getting out the map but decided against it. I choose instead to let my good sense of direction guide me. I meandered through the city streets and took in this beautiful city. I never once worried about being lost or not knowing where I was. I walked and walked and alas, I ended up exactly where I wanted to be, Charles Bridge (see photo 1). Charles Bridge is a historic pedestrian bridge that crosses the Vltava River. It's construction started in 1357 and connects Old Town to Lesser Quarter (Prague Castle). I walked across the bridge and walked to Prague Castle and saw Wed Vitus Cathedral (see photos 2, 3), which is the oldest Gothic Cathedral in central Europe. I am glad I have another day here because there is so much more to see.

So far I really like Prague. It is breathing life. The streets are bustling and there is a lot of action on the sidewalks; tourists hording in groups, peddlers limping through, artists kiosks scattered about, and souvenir shop after souvenir shop. And the people watching! Need I say more?

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh Joni, great pictures! 1357, old. Hope you have a great day tomorrow. Can't wait to see more pictures.

    ReplyDelete